Washington County Democratic Executive Board of Directors
Sunday, July 13, 2008
The Executive Board of the Washington County Democrats met Sunday, July 13, 2008 in the home of John Greener. All five officers were there as well as Ferd Marie and Jay Santana.
We discussed Fundraising dates and decided to offer these as our first preference:
• Ice Cream Social at Frakes’ on August 9 or 10 from 2:00 – 4:00 pm. Cans would be placed for each of the candidates for that area: Bob Goodrich, Dave Schweitzer, Larry Marek, and Dave Loebsack, as well as for the County Party. All Supervisor candidates would be encouraged to be present so everyone gets used to seeing their faces. The four listed above would be asked to speak. We also need to find a “Big Name” speaker, but no decision was made about this. Suggestions were Pat Murphy, Christi Vilsack, or Tom Harkin. Before anyone can be contacted as a guest speaker, we need to settle for sure on the date. We are waiting for the Dave Loebsack to check on his calendar.
• Wiener Roast at Ferd Marie’s on September 14 or 21 at 6:00 pm. Basically the same format as the Ice Cream social: cans for the various candidates and speakers.
• Pork Loin Dinner on October 5th or 12th at 1:00 p.m. Ione Burham would be in charge of organizing this. We would sell advanced tickets with the goal of selling at least 200 tickets at $10.00 each. We would need to get some big name speakers for this event and have all our candidates present. The money from the ticket sales would go to the County Party to help cover the expenses we have. We would try to get all the food donated. Richard will check on the availability of the Methodist Church for this event.
The next item for discussion was the Web site. All were in favor of going ahead with this and going through “1 and 1”. Jay Santana and Harold Frakes would serve as the web masters. Sandra will contact the following people to see if they would serve on the initial committee to decide what should be on the web: Kay Ciha, Ceanne Alvine, Tamra Schrock, as well as Harold Frakes and Jay Santana. The price of the website for the first three months would be $4.99 a month. After that the price would be $9.99.
We briefly went over the re-convening of the County Convention. Louise is to contact the precinct chairs for District 4 and Merle Hagie and invite them to attend as well as the delegates and alternates who were selected for the original County Convention. This will be held August 9th at 10:00 am in the Democratic office headquarters. Sandra is checking with the Second District and State IDP to be sure we are doing this correctly.
Jay Santana suggested hosting the next Second District meeting and using it as a fund raiser. Sandra will send them an invitation. Richard will bring one of his big tables to the office as well as more chairs. Jay will check on places to get their lunch: possibly Subway or Hy Vee. The date of August 13th was suggested for this event.
Adding a second precinct chair to Ward 2 was discussed as they only elected one person. It was decided that we would offer this position to Brett Evanovich. Sandra will contact Brett.
The final item to be discussed was the County Fair Booth. Sandra announced that the frame is set up. The following decisions were made:
• Richard will take the tables and four chairs from headquarters out to the fair booth
• There will be order forms for the polo shirts at the booth and people will be encouraged to buy the County shirts. They must pay when they order.
• We will have stickers for as many of the candidates as possible
• There will be membership forms at the booth and we will encourage people to sign up and become members
• Kay Ciha will bring two 5-gallon containers and cups so that we will give away lemonade again this year.
• Sandra will bring two 5 gallon buckets for trash.
Louise Frakes, secretary