Tuesday, January 14, 2014

I thought I would share a letter I received from Congressman Loebsack. Though it doesn't really address my concern, he was kind enough to answer.

Thank you for contacting me about health care policy. I'm honored to represent you. Your opinion is very important to me and my priority is to provide Iowa's Second District with the best representation possible.

As you may know, Representative John Conyers introduced the Expanded and Improved Medicare for All Act, H.R. 676, on February 13, 2013. This legislation would extend Medicare eligibility to all U.S. citizens and it would establish the "Medicare for All Trust Fund" to finance the extension. This legislation is currently pending in the House Energy and Commerce Committee and I will keep your views in mind should it come before the House of Representatives for a vote.

You will also be pleased to know that as part of my work on the Education and Workforce Committee, I supported an amendment during the health care reform debate that would have permitted each state to opt to provide public financing for the extension of health insurance for its residents.

I understand your concerns about the importance of improving the affordability of health care. As with any bill that Congress passes and signs into law, the implementation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) is critical. You will be pleased to know, however, that as a result of the ACA in the Second District of Iowa alone, 5,400 young adults now have health insurance, 9,100 seniors have received average prescription drug discounts of $950 each in 2013, 136,000 Medicare recipients are now eligible for free preventative services, and as many as 43,000 children with pre-existing conditions can no longer be denied coverage by insurers. As of January 1, 2014, this protection was extended to adults with pre-existing conditions.

I will continue to work to ensure that all Iowans have access to quality, affordable health care. If there is any additional information I can get for you or any help I can provide, please do not hesitate to get in touch with my Iowa City office at 319-351-0789.

Thank you again for contacting me about this important issue. My office is here to assist you with any and all concerns you have, so please do not hesitate to contact me whenever you feel that I can be of assistance. I encourage you to visit my website at www.loebsack.house.gov and sign up for my e-newsletters to stay informed of the work I'm doing for you. I am proud to serve the Second District, and I am committed to working hard for Iowans. 
Sincerely,
(signed)
Dave Loebsack
Iowa's Second District